Grisha Pradhan, National Honor Society

Forever Watford, WHS Reporter

There are many WHS school clubs to participate in (see the HOWL “Coyote Club” section).  I decided to get some information on National Honor Society (NHS), a school club with a focus on helping the community.  Members like to help anyone around Williston who needs it.  Participating in this club gives you quite a few benefits, so that might just make you want to jump out your seat for joy if you ever got offered membership! The qualifications/requirements might help get you in but you never know – you just might like the activities and helping your community so much that you continue to serve after high school! 

Grisha Pradhan, a senior at Williston High School, sat down with me to share some insight into the National Honor Society.

Q: What are the requirements to being in the National Honor Society?

A: You need a GPA of 3.5 or higher, a teacher recommendation, and a completed application.

Q: What are the benefits of being in the National Honor Society?

A: Members help the community, and it looks good on your transcript for college acceptance and scholarships.

Q: What are the activities you do while in the NHS?

A: Autism for kids, the James Memorial volunteering, helping with the WHS Halloween party and just offering help anytime anyone needs it!

Q: What’s one thing you like about being in NHS?

A: The fact that it’s helping the community and that it’s beneficial.

Q: Out of all the activities which one do you like best?

A: The Alzheimer’s “Forget Me Not” fundraiser, raising money and having a flower for each one.  

Q: Would you recommend the NHS to any of your friends or anyone that’s not already in NHS?

A: I would, yes, because it’s about helping the community and just being responsible.

Q: Community service:  How many hours do you need?

A: Ten hours at the minimum.

I also spoke with Mrs. Hall, advisor for NHS. Here are a few things to clarify. A student needs to maintain a 3.5 GPA overall. Community service and leadership are high priorities. NHS membership is recognized as an award and  includes its own scholarships. According to Mrs. Hall, many NHS students go on to participate in some level of politics.

NHS activities include raffling off parking spots. These donations go to different places and organizations in need. The most recent donation went to help with the recovery in Puerto Rico due to the devastation from Hurricane Maria.

One interesting yearly NHS event is the state convention. Some awards and recognitions include the following:

Wesley Nygard: current state officer 2017-18

Jacie Kohler: state officer 2016-17

Mrs. Hall: State Advisor of the Year 2016

Ian Kalil: State President 2015-16

These are impressive accomplishments! Way to go, Coyotes!