Cross Country Stars: Elijah Willardson and Tyrel Ackman

SONY+DSC

SONY DSC

Cassandra Webb, WHS Reporter

I interviewed two members of this year’s Cross Country team: Elijah Willardson and Tyrel Ackman. Both are very committed to the sport and have been participants for as long as they can.

Q) What is your favorite thing about running?

Elijah: Running in general because it relaxes me.

Tyrel: My favorite thing about running is the excitement of the races and running with my team.

Q) Why did you start cross country?

Elijah: It’s a generational thing in my family.

Tyrel: I started cross country because my family has been running since the sport began in my hometown and I already had the experience of running because of my brothers being in cross country.

Q) Would you consider making a future in this sport?

Elijah: Yes, that is what I am working on.

Tyrel: I am considering to run in college and would like to just stay fit for my life.

Q) If you had the chance to do any other sport, which would you choose?

Elijah: I don’t really know; I’m okay with the sports I’m currently doing.

Tyrel: If I had the chance to do any other sport I would choose baseball because that is what I did before I came to Williston.

Q) Are you in other sports?

Elijah: Yes, swimming and track.

Tyrel: I am in track in the spring; other than that I run for the entire year.

Coach Walstrom’s Comments: Elijah and Tyrel are two great contributors to our boys’ varsity team. They work hard, show up to practice ready to get better each day. These two are also very goal oriented and have a purpose when they train. Their efforts are contagious with our younger/newer runners.
Some season highlights for these two are as follows:
Elijah earned All-Conference honors this season (top 20 @ WDA Championships) along with cutting 1 minute off of his best 5k time from last year.
Tyrel was a major contributor to the Coyote Club team winning the Rising Stars Division (Sophomores, Freshman, and under) at the Nike Regional CC meet in Sioux Falls, SD. He also cut a big amount of time off of his 5k from last year, 40 seconds.
We wish Elijah, Tyrel and the entire team the best of luck in their future sports experiences!