The Music Man

Bearce

Photo Credit: Laura Bearce

Brooke Leeper, WHS Reporter

Mary Drumm Interview: 

Q: What was the best part of being in the musical?

A: The best part was working with so many dedicated and passionate students. There were so many actors and actresses who would improve at each rehearsal. As directors, we were like, “Where did that come from?! That was amazing!” We would find out that they rehearsed before school, after school, in the hallways, in the lunch room, etc outside of rehearsal and run lines and fix issues with each other. They always wanted to improve just a little bit more each time- there was never a “good enough” mind set from anyone.

Q: Are there any funny moments about the making of the musical or any “uh oh” moments that happened?

A: We have an inside joke-the doorbell! We had a working doorbell on Mayor Shinn’s house that an actor would press each show. Our sound tech, Steele Johnson, would randomly switch the tune it played during each dress rehearsal. Sometimes “Happy Birthday” or “La Cucaracha” would play in the middle of a totally serious scene, and we all died laughing backstage. An “uh oh” moment during every single show was Marian’s quick change- she had less than a minute to change from one complicated dress to another one with a bunch of hooks to button up the back. They always got caught in her hair, and she almost didn’t make it out in time for one of the performances. I hate that stupid dress, but it looked gorgeous on stage, so we ended up keeping it!

Q: What students did you feel grow the most as actors through this production?

A: I was impressed by a lot of our freshman actors. Zach Wills, our Marcellus, worked extremely hard to grow into his role. He also had a huge solo in “Shipoopi” that required acting, singing, and dancing! Another student would be the entire group of women who were our “Pick a Little” ladies. They had a lot of quick and complicated singing lines, and they had to time their reactions to each other perfectly. They really synced well together as a group!

Q: What do you want people to know about making the musical?

A: How much work goes into producing it. It’s a really unique extracurricular. We work for 3 months for 4 shows in 4 days. The public only sees the results of the work and not the work itself- it’s important that others understand how important those shows are to the actors and actresses. There is no mentally “checking out” or second chances with identical audiences. All the rehearsals and tech work and set building and costuming all build up to one big event. It’s also important to point out that the success of the show depends on everyone- if even one actor can’t perform or if a tech crew member can’t make a performance; that affects everyone else involved. We also have a place for absolutely everyone! Students can be on or off stage. They can act and sing and dance, or they can help build and design sets. They can help with hair, makeup, and costuming, or they can help find or create props. They can be backstage as run crew during the performances themselves or help with tickets and programs. There is a place in Drama Club for anyone who wants to join our family.

Students Share:

Zach Wills: Being in “The Music Man” was a truly amazing experience and I look forward to next year’s musical!

Conner Martin: “The Music Man” stretched me as a singer and an actor. My abilities were challenged and I met some wonderful people and bonded with old friends through it.

Andrew Tong: The show itself wasn’t what made the experience great it was the people. It was so fun to work alongside people who shared several of the same interests. We really did become a family and I’m excited to do it again next year!

Wesley Nygard: It’s been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of high school. The directors helped me become the best musician I’ve ever been, and I thank them all very much.

Tiffany: My experience with “the music man” was a lifetime experience; I’ve never had so much fun. I met some pretty awesome people while I was there.

Morgan Bosley: Absolutely amazing. This crew was the most energetic and uplifting group I’ve ever been a part of.

Renae Dokken: Being a part of “The Music Man” was the best 12 weeks of my life. Joining the pit Orchestra not only helped me as a musician but as a friend, as a student, and as a person. The best part of the musical was how it brought so many people together to create one thing. During this experience, I became friends with the upperclassmen and the lower classmen. Not only did we come together to put on a show for ourselves but we put on a show for our community and in the process we all became family. At the cast supper, I cried thinking that this experience is over and that the 12 hectic weeks were over. At the end of receiving our pictures and thank you letters from the directors, we all came together to give Mr. Rooke a hug. In that moment I realized that these people will forever be my family. The laughs that we all shared throughout the 12 weeks will always be cherished and I hope more people join the musical so they can experience this too.

Anonymous: I feel that it was a good time. However, some of the directors have less than desirable attitudes towards certain cast members and parts of the show.

Katie Rehak: Participating in The Music Man was probably one of the best decisions I’ve made this year. I was in the pit, and it took a lot of time and effort to get most of our music perfect. It was very stressful to find time to finish projects and do homework, especially the week before the show, but the stress was worth it for the outcome. It was bittersweet for our 12 weeks of work to be over in 4 days, but participating in the musical has helped me make new friends and expand my musical skills. And I got a cool red shirt.

Wesley Thomas: This is my 3rd and most challenging year of the musical I have ever participated in but I can say that the musical and the pit orchestra has helped me reach points and a player and I never thought were possible, and on top of that I have formed great connections with so many people and I atone all the musical, its directors, and all the kids who put the time in and excelled to be a part of that. It’s truly shaped me.

Mackenzie Helms: My experience working the lights in “The Music Man” has been that of no other. I’ve learned several things about dedication and hard work, which lead to an incredible overall show with so many amazing, inspiring people. I’m glad I was given the opportunity by Mr. Rooke. I hope next year it’s just as fun as this.

Alia Mathson-Moreno: This year was my first year in theater. I have never had so much fun in my life. I loved every second. Every song. Plus I got to make some amazing friends who became family.

Anonymous: Doing the music man, really opened me up. The cast didn’t only become just my friends, but also my family. During the production of the music man, I really just forgot about my problems and laughed along with all of the amazing people that I met. I’ll never forget the amazing time with I had with everyone, especially all of our inside jokes. This experience will definitely always have a special place in my heart, and I can’t wait until next year.

Chase Glueckert: It was fantastic and what was even cooler is that by the end we became a big family.

Sariah Sanders: Performing “The Music Man” in the pit was like playing with a family. It’s one of the greatest experiences you can have with a whole lot of laughter and just enjoying playing your instrument. Plus Mr.Bisbee was the director so it was 10x more fun!

Madison Linton: I really love the entire cast, pit, and crew. Everyone is so great and supportive of each other; it makes me really happy.

Photo Credits: Laura Bearce