We Are All Beautiful!

We Are All Beautiful!

Cassandra Webb, WHS Reporter

Did you know that 44% of high school women and 15% of high school guys in America are attempting to lose weight? You may just think that’s because people want to be in shape. But what about when you hear that 70% of girls that range from 15-17 are self conscious about going to school because of their physical looks?

This is a sad topic, I understand that. However, it needs to be recognized and discussed.

About 3 out of 4 girls in high schools– with low self esteem– are involved with harmful acts such as cutting, bullying, smoking, drinking, or dealing with an eating disorder.

Other than statistics that are most likely out of date, I’ve personally witnessed a lot of this myself. I see girls that wear too much makeup when I know for a fact they’re gorgeous without it. Granted, I wear it, but I do it because it’s just fun. However, there are girls who do it because they feel self conscious about themselves. This hurts me to see such beautiful girls try and change themselves so people will like them more.

I see guys that are trying to gain muscle because they think it’s cool; they think that it will make them popular if they are ‘tough.’

What I truly notice is that we’re all afraid of being judged. A mysterious thing keeps us from being ourselves, and that mystery is society. It makes us believe that if we change ourselves and become fake versions of who we truly are, we will be ‘cool’ or ‘popular,’

Something that sickens me greatly is the fact that people get judged for such meticulous things, common things even, such as the following:

Acne- We all have or had it at one point. Why pick on someone for something so small?

Hair color/style- It’s just hair. If someone has short hair, long hair, or no hair, it’s absurd to point out something that makes a person unique. If they like it, then don’t say anything. Don’t knock someone down.

Race- I didn’t want to bring this up, but I think that people shouldn’t care what color skin you have. We’re all human.

Gender- If someone is a woman or a man, you should know morally that we’re not quite equal in the range of obvious things like features. But don’t generalize genders, like calling all guys pigs is wrong. You don’t know everything every guy has ever done. So generalizing is down right stupid.

In the grand scheme of things, saying one nice thing can greatly turn around someone’s day. So, don’t hesitate to compliment someone’s ANYTHING, at ANY time. It could even be a way to make friends. I know that because it’s honestly how I work. Any little thing could make someone smile.

You’d be surprised at how big of an impact one compliment could actually have.

Check out Jesse Bonanno’s video, “Never Alone.”

Here are some random compliments in action:

Cassandra Webb sharing RAK with Dana Allen.

Cassandra Webb sharing RAK with Miss Snyder.

Cassandra Webb sharing RAK with Ms. Fisketjon.

Cassandra Webb sharing RAK with Mr. Skinner.

Cassandra Webb sharing RAK with Camberly Lerbakken.

References

“11 Facts About Teens and Self Esteem.” dosomething.org. 2018.