Effects of Social Media on Students

Daryl Andrada, WHS Reporter

Parents are worried about the exposure of their children to social media. When teens don’t have homework to do, they’re online and on their phones, texting/chatting with their friends, sharing memes, watching videos, and etc. More and more students are reporting an issue with sleep, depression, and anxiety. These are all effects of social media. But we all know that social media improves our social skills and it serves an entertainment for us. Social media may be good or bad, depending on how we use it.

Many people can say that social media  is one of the most common ways of distraction for students. It has an effect that is both harmful to the productivity of students and has been proven to decrease the student’s grade academically. Social Networks such as Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter are very hard to ignore since they are the number one trends online. Now, many students are admitting that social media networks are the cause of their failing grade.

Another critical thing that social media allows others to do are becoming cyber bullies. The introduction of social media online causes more of the cyber bullying. This is much worse than face-to-face talk, because online activity is permanent, meaning that it will always stay on the internet, allowing thousands or even millions of people being able to see it.

Social media has a lot of benefits for students. It has become very easy to get knowledge from renowned experts and successful people through social media. You can easily follow anyone to boost your knowledge. Regardless of your educational background, you can learn various skills without paying for them. Did you know- that 59% of schools say their students use social networking for educational purposes.

Social media also changes how we communicate now. We can text what want to say and send it to a certain person. Communication back then is really hard. You need to write a letter to someone, and it will take 3-4 weeks in order for the person to receive the letter. But now, the message takes seconds to send. Our communication today is very fast, because of social media.

Social media may be good or bad, we just need control in using it. Our world is full of new creations, it’s either beneficial or harmful.