Are we next?

AP

RETRANSMIT WITH ALTERNATE CROP Officials guide students off a bus and into a recreation center where they were reunited with their parents after a shooting at a suburban Denver middle school Tuesday, May 7, 2019, in Highlands Ranch, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

Regina Kadima and Annaya Rissing

Numbers say we are next

So far in 2019, there have been 22 shootings in schools in the United States. In which many students were hurt and killed. Students and families were left in despair and broken-hearted.

They have occurred across the country, from Florida, Georgia, and even to California. Elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and Colleges have been targets. Students have not been protected like they were promised. Nor have they had any special training or an assembly on how we can properly defend ourselves in an emergency. For example, the High-profile school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The trauma has raised concerns that the schools’ security systems have not been doing its job. No one should be able to have easy access to entering the school. The schools should be checked, doors should be locked. Outside guests should be signed in. 

The Nation institution states .gov states that, school crime rates have dropped nationwide since the early 1990s and that the student victimization rate declined by 70% from 1992 to 2013. But we have seen a higher rate in the school shooting numbers since 2013. Although they claim that we are safer.