The Clay Target League

Kori Boots, WHS Reporter

The Williston Coyote Clay Target League competes with other schools around the state. Once a week all the kids on the team shoot for score. These scores are then put in the USA Clay Target League website. From that, the team is ranked as are the kids. There are 3 rankings, Novice 0-13.99 out of 25, JV 14-18.99 out of 25, and Varsity 19-25 out of 25. These rankings are made up of all “shoot for score” days and then averaged to make the kids rank. There is a lettering program, which is an awesome way for kids that may not be in any other sport to have the ability to “letter”. This is probably one of my favorite things about this sport, is that anyone and everyone can do it. It doesn’t matter how good you are, because with the help and determination everyone will get better and improve their scores. The team consists of grades 7-12. All kids must be academically eligible to scores, and show up Sundays and shoot for score. We have an amazing team of kids and they are from all walks of life. Some come to the range for the first time and have never held a gun, others have been shooting for years. But they all shoot together and help each other out. This is one sport that you could find a varsity shooter, shooting next to a novice shooter during practice. This is one sport that your scores may be different but when you are on the line everyone is together. ~Jessica Paine (Coordinator)

The Coyote Clay Target League was started in March 2017 by head coach Penny Lee Slagle. Our first spring season we had 34 members grades 9-12. We then added a fall season and opened it up for grades 7-12. Fall of 2018 we had 54 members. Our League continued to grow to 68 shooters in the spring of 2019 and this fall we have 88 kids shooting. Our first state meet we sent 9 athletes and last summer 29 competed at state. The Coyote Clay Target League has been a huge, positive addition to the WPSD list of activities. All of the volunteer coaches and help is the key to our success. Our league shoots for 5-7 weeks in the fall and 8-11 weeks in the spring. ~Penny Slagle (President & Head Coach)

~Asia Evanson

What got you interested in joining?

I thought it would be cool to learn how to shoot trap

What kind of experience do you get out of the league?

I get a great experience. Everyone is so friendly and helpful, and I learn a lot.

What kind of gun do you use and why?

I use two guns. A Remington 870 pump youth 20 gauge and a Franchi semi automatic youth 20 gauge. I use the Franchi because it’s new and I got it as a birthday present and its pretty cool to use also as a change for once.

What is your favorite thing about the league?

My favorite thing about the league is it’s unique. Not many people have the opportunity.

What is your highest score and how did you feel when you got it?

My highest score was 40/50 and I felt awesome.

~Taylor Riehl 

What got you interested in joining?

I’ve always loved to shoot guns, I found it to be a super fun pass time once I found out I had a natural niche for it.

The experiences I get from the clay target league are very extensive. It can go from volunteering with other league members all the way up to National Championships. There are so many opportunities within the league, it’s just cool!

What kind of gun do you use and why?

The specific gun I use is an SKB 90TSS over-under Trap Special. The style of an Over Under shotgun has many characteristics that help with shooting. Because of the style, the gun is normally heavier and reduces recoil. this helps with shooting because it increases the accuracy of your shot.

My favorite thing about the league is the people who are involved in it, I’ve noticed that the coaches, as well as the students who are involved, are very passionate about the sport. The coaches and others who are behind the scenes, care about the shooters and put extensive amounts of time into the league.

The highest score I’ve gotten was 49 clays out of 50, I was not mad at all because I knew that 49 was an amazing accomplishment. I felt very proud because I knew that not many people accomplish this feat.