Coyote Spotlight: Ms. Settelmeyer, WHS Science Teacher

Hannah Layton, WHS Howl Contributor

Recently, I had the pleasure of interviewing Ms. Cailyn Settelmeyer, a Physics and Biology teacher.

My objective was to ask Ms. Settelmeyer a series of fun and serious questions that would let our Coyote community get to know her. You can read the full interview below!

*************************************************************************************************************************

Q: Have you always lived in Williston? If not, where did you grow up?

A: I just moved here right before school started. I moved here most recently from Garrison, North Dakota.

Q: What is your favorite part about teaching?

A: I am really enjoying getting to know the kids. I also love learning the material myself.

Q: What is your favorite color?

A: My favorite color is blue.

Q: If you had not gone into teaching, what other careers would you have considered?

A: So, interesting fact: I had other careers before going into teaching. I was a zookeeper for eight years, and then I was a park ranger, and now I am a teacher.

Q: What is your main goal for this school year?

A: My main goal is to get my students to learn science. I can teach my students to learn how to think outside of the box and to be better adults.

Q: Outside of school, what do you do in your free time?

A: Right now, I babysit my nephews and my niece.

Q: Would you teach other grades besides high schoolers?

A: I have! Before I decided to become a high school teacher, I substitute taught 5th graders and kindergarteners. I enjoy being around younger grades, but I also enjoy teaching high schoolers.

Q: If you could travel anywhere right now, where would you go?

A: I would go to Oregon, where my family lives.

Q: What is your favorite childhood memory?

A: My family and I took a big road trip, and we did not have a specific destination–we just drove. Eventually, we arrived in the Gulf of Mexico where a hurricane just hit, and it was very interesting to see where the hurricane hit.

Q: Who is your favorite scientist?

A: I really like Ivan Pavlov and his use of classical conditioning. I have met Jane Goodall, and she is fantastic, and she has done some amazing work.

Q: Why did you choose science?

A: Science makes the most sense to me. I’m more a hands-on kind of person, and I love to experiment. Specifically, I love Biology.

Q: What are your opinions on pineapple on pizza?

A: I really love pineapple on my pizza. I love pineapple and pepperoni to be specific.