The student news site of Williston High School

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

WHS Girls Off Season Track

Williston High School girls track team has already started their off season for the 2024 season. These girls train extremely hard in the winter to make sure they have a successful spring season.  Cambree Moss and Brooklyn Kitchens had to say a lot about this topic. Moss claims that “Off season gives her the ability to create a stable base for the season.”

Running lap after lap can get extremely repetitive. Having a strong mental state can make or break their training. Long practices can be hard to balance while also maintaining good grades. Kitchens states that “ Practices usually last 1-2 hours but after school that is a lot because you have to go home and do homework after.” Having the responsibility to keep up with both track and school work cannot be easy.

How often does one have to go to track for it to actually be successful? Moss says “I usually go 5 times a week plus saturday just to make sure I don’t lose my stamina.” This is different for everyone, Kitchens claims “I go 3 times a week because I don’t want to burn myself out before the 3 month season.” 

Many students do track because it can improve their performance in another sport. Kitchens says “There are not many people in the off season compared to how many people are in the actual season.” Many students are in winter sports, this could be causing the lack of bodies at track off season. Moss states that “Majority of the people at track are distance runners but that’s because we have to constantly be running to keep up our stamina and endurance.”