The student news site of Williston High School

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

Freshman Adapting To High School

Freshmen adapting to the Williston High School can be a challenging thing. How did the freshman do this year? In this story, I interviewed Rochelle Doney and Morgan Strietzel for teacher and student perspectives. 

When Freshman come to the high school it is a brand new place for them. Doney says “Halfway into the fall semester students figure out where their safe places are. Whether by choice or influence by peers they start navigating there way, and get more particular interests.”

Doney also talks about how they haven’t learned their way around the school and school work. “I think students stayed safe within their boundaries and closely followed directions. Students understand the repercussions of not doing their work yet.” 

“At the beginning of the year, all students are in one collective group, second-semester students learned how to navigate their way around the school”, this is how Doney explains the difference between first and second semesters. 

Streitzel says adapting to the high school can be difficult. She had adjusted her schedule to make time for practice and homework, while learning her way around the high school. 

“It is a busier schedule, and more of a workload for sure” is how Streitzel describes her high school experience so far.

Adapting to high school can be a difficult thing for the incoming freshman class. Doney and Streitzel show a good insight into how it works for the freshmen at our school.