The student news site of Williston High School

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

Why are we failing?

Why are so many students failing classes?
Failure
Isaac J. Bear
Failure

The Williston High School is currently experiencing an epidemic of people failing classes. I often see or hear kids being majorly behind in stuff like math, english, and science. I hear tons of kids talking about how they’re failing their classes like it’s nothing. I believe that this is a problem that needs to be investigated.

Before I interview people I would like to know why this is a problem. This is a major problem for schools because if their students are failing then they themselves are failing. This failing epidemic is incredibly harmful because kids will not graduate. Not graduating is limiting them in what they can do in life. They can’t advance in education, get into the most decent paying jobs, get into most fields in life, and they can’t even join the military. Mistakes here can ruin or harm their future and that is a problem.

So let’s start with my first interview which asked to be anonymous. They said they were failing most of their core classes(English, Math, Science). And when asked why or what could help them they weren’t sure. I asked why they were failing and they felt it was a lack of motivation. 

And then onto my second interview of which will also remain anonymous. I asked them the same questions I asked the previous person. They said they were failing most of their classes. I asked them why and they said they didn’t care and had no motivation. And the interview was much like the previous one. With motivation being the key issue.

Both of these interviews showed a lack of motivation and care was largely the cause of them failing. I believe that this is not just a small problem group of  individuals but a problem affecting many as I see and hear from other kids. I see people just not paying attention or doing anything because they don’t care. These kids lack the motivation needed to pass and be successful and that is a problem. 

As I have learned from these interviews and just hearing from others, people are without the motivation to want to pass. This problem needs to be addressed and I believe that what we’re doing is not sufficient enough. We as a school need to help our fellow classmates and students. Because if we don’t, their failure is also our failure as a school.