The student news site of Williston High School

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

German Exchange

The German foreign exchange includes many opportunities for our highschool students. This exchange continues throughout the whole school year. You will get a German exchange student in the fall for 3 weeks, and then you travel to Germany a few days after graduation and stay abroad for 3 weeks. Particularly, this is open to mostly Juniors but they are also accepting Sophomores. According to Ryan Stebbins (foreign exchange coordinator), the best opportunities are to travel to another country and see many absolutely beautiful places such as the Mediterranean sea and the South of France. And of course, it is also important to spend time in French speaking countries while learning French. Stebbins also talks about how you are able to make lifelong friends. “The German host is like my brother now, we have an amazing friendship. This is an experience you will never forget” (Stebbins). 

When he thinks back to his highschool days when he went on the exchange, he can remember everything being so exciting and it was incredibly life changing. He talks about his favorite things during the exchange being, the shopping in Paris and how delicious the food is. Stebbins has been doing the German exchange for 4 years, but there was a break of 3 years for the first time in 35 years because of Covid 19. One of the biggest challenges is that they always have more German students interested in the exchange program than students here at WHS. “I find that so surprising, you can open so many opportunities for yourself during this. So, I am always looking for more students to attend” (Stebbins).