Coyote Spotlight: Miss Snyder, WHS Librarian

Brittany Lozada

WHS Librarian, Miss Snyder

Brittany Lozada, WHS Howl Contributor

Raised on a farm in Medicine Lake, Montana, Miss Snyder is a loving person that loves people and, of course, books! She is our WHS librarian! Miss Snyder loves to recommend books and to socialize with people. I have chosen her to be interviewed for our Coyote Spotlight.  

You can read our full interview below!  

What are your responsibilities at WHS? 

I’m responsible for the library, which includes purchasing and promoting books. I also maintain the library space and its whole collection, so I get to purchase books–but, I also need to take them off the shelves when they are old or nobody checks them out. It’s called weeding, so every year I get to do that. 

What’s your favorite part of your job? 

I love buying books, I love reading books, and I love recommending books to students. I love seeing the students come back and light up because it was such a good book. I really enjoy watching people find books that they like, finding authors, or types of books and just discover there is a whole world that for some they haven’t really got into. 

How many years have you been working at WHS? 

I have been working at WHS for 21 years. I was an English teacher for many years, and then, I came into the library. I was an English teacher for 9 years, so that puts me in my twelfth year in the library. It’s the longest I have ever worked in a job. 

Why did you choose this career? 

Well, I chose English because I really do love all parts of English. I love grammar, writing, and literature. Then, I started to get burned out correcting, and it was just not fun anymore. The librarian was going to retire, so I started to take classes. So, when she retired, I moved into the library. I love all parts of it! I love working with the students. I would never not want to be working with students. That’s part of who I am I guess–wanting to be with people and discuss books with people or life in general and to be around people, and in this job, I get to teach about books, which is something I love. 

If you hadn’t become a librarian/teacher, what would you be? 

Well, totally dreaming, I would want to be a Broadway actress. With live theater and being on stage, you have this interaction with the audience so you know they are getting it and they’re responding to what you are doing. You play off that, and when you communicate with the audience like laugh, cry and gasp, it’s thrilling! You are on the same page, and they are with your character and they are getting it.  

Have you played in any of the school theater events ever before? 

Well, we have a community theater here, and I have done many productions with them. I was Queen Eleanor in The Lion of Winter. That is a historical play based on Henry II and his wife Eleanor. 

Where did you grow up? 

I grew up across the border in Medicine Lake, Montana.  

What’s your favorite color?

I would have to say purple. I like the beauty and richness of it, and I love Irises.  

Do you own any pets? If so how many? 

I’ve had cats. I don’t have pets right now, but, no, I wasn’t the stereotypical cat lady. 

What holiday do you enjoy the most? Why?

I most enjoy Christmas. It’s time off that is time with family. I also enjoy the traditions and the meaning of Christmas. 

Do you think pineapple should go on pizza? Yes/NO 

Yes! If you eat it with Canadian Bacon. 

Brittany Lozada
WHS Librarian, Miss Snyder