The student news site of Williston High School

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

The WHS Howl

Acting Anticipation: “Beauty and the Beast”

A Disney Classic is coming to WHS, so how will our fellow students prepare?
Teylor Fisk

The WHS Drama Club has begun production on their spring musical Beauty and the Beast as of this Monday. The show, being the latest in a series of Disney Musicals produced by the club, was announced on Facebook in September alongside their productions of Clue and the student-directed play Puffs.

In addition to this announcement, the HOWL had the opportunity to interview several students about their expectations for the show, its music, and the overall anticipation that surrounds the production itself. The first impressions all seem to be positive, as stated by Layla Kemmet, a member of the ensemble cast. “It’s fun. I like most people in the cast, and I’m really excited for the music aspects of it,” she said. “I really like singing and I hope it is as fun as Frozen was.” Another student, Vienna Moriarity, added “I liked the cast so far. I’m also really excited to just perform and see the actual final result of everything, and see it all come together.”

When prompted about their most anticipated song of the show, both answered with the same number, “Gaston,” which shares the same name with the character who sings it. “It’s my favorite song out of all of them,” Moriarity said. But in their opinions, it’s not the songs or the show itself that gets them excited. It’s the chance to work with a group of talented actors and directors in putting the show together. “The community and how simultaneously you can become closer with your old friends and new friends alike is my favorite part of being in a musical,” Kemmet said. And she was not alone in this opinion. “The same thing Layla said is also my opinion. The community is the best part. Getting to hang out with new people and getting to grow closer with older friends you have is pretty great alongside the music and putting together a show like this.”

Beauty and the Beast is scheduled to premiere on April 18th, 2024, and run through until April 20th. Ticket sales will begin at a later date close to the opening night.