Sophia Rose in the All-National Honor Band!

Breanna Willeford, WHS Reporter

Sophia Rose, a WHS Senior, received national recognition as second flute, third chair in the All-National Honor Band. This placement included a concert performance in Orlando, Florida.

According to Catherina Hurlburt of the National Association for Music Education, “And of those most elite high school musicians who were accepted to their district or All-State music ensembles, 608 of them—the “best of the best”—were selected for the National Association for Music Education’s (NAFME) 2017 All-National Honor Ensembles” (Hurlburt).

Sophia Rose shared some thoughts from her unique opportunity:

Q: What was the greatest part of your Orlando experience?

A: Being in the actual band. Our director (Dr. T. André Feagin, Assistant Professor in the Department of Music at Coastal Carolina University ) was really cool and he seemed to know a lot about music. It was less about playing certain notes but more about what you could make notes into something more than just how it sounded.

Q: What else did you do there?

A: We went to Disney World twice, and we watched other bands perform. There were colleges there, too. It was really fun!

Q: What plans do you have after graduation?

A: I want to be in the (university) band and minor in music.

Williston High School is very proud of Sophia Rose, and we wish her a successful future!

Source:

Hurlburt, Catherina. “Announcing the 2017 All-National Honor Ensembles, Performing November 28-29.” National Association for Music Education, 19 Sep. 2017.