WHS Wonderettes Season Recap

Emily Ehlert, WHS Reporter

The WHS Drill Team has accomplished so much this year. They received 15 trophies total, 10 being in the top 3 ranks! There were only three varsity members returning from last year’s team (Journey Benz, Emily Ehlert, and Kriesha Calderon). Two girls came from junior varsity (Madison Collins and Brooke Hawkins) and five came from the middle school team (Jaribeth Oneill, Jocelyn Pennell, Bailey Mann, Emmalynn Richardson, and Breece Holmes). Four girls came with no Drill Team experience (Lainey Barker, Evelina Tyan, Brindly Elwess, and Dylann Mead). This year was a year of rebuilding and growing and ended up being one of the most successful years.

The varsity Drill Team performed their Hip hop routine at homecoming and other games at the High School. This team went to 5 high school competitions around the state. After that was the state competition where they received 1 third place and 2 fourth place trophies along with an academic award.

The most important, tiring week came after, Nationals in Orlando, Florida! This is what the WHS Wonderettes have been training for. Competing with some of the best teams in the nation. The team has to be focused on competing, even when they practice in the airport on the way down. They received 8th place out of 18 incredible teams. While they were down there they had team bonding, including a haunted house and swimming. This year has been very successful and we can’t wait to see the talent next year’s WHS Drill Team will bring.